Old 25-04-2006, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Default weeding a veg patch

NC wrote:
I have several seedlings starting to appear in my veg patch. I am
growing carrots, parsnips, sprouting broc, beetroot, radishes, potatoes
and peas. I have a row of each, about 14" apart and 8' long (some wider
spaced depending on what they are - ie potatoes have lots of space).
Everything is coming on nicely (as far as a total beginner can tell!).
However, I am starting to get the inevitable weeds coming up too.
Problem is, I can only reach about 3' from each end of the row to pull
them up - there is therefore a 2' section of most rows that I cant get
to! I dont want to stand on the soil as I will compact it (spent ages
cultivating it - fairly high clay content in a new build garden).
Any tips ?? Are there any tools to help out - something like a rubbish
fork that you see street cleaners using ?
Or should I not be so anal and just leave the weeds growing until the
veg is established enough and I'm not so concerned about disturbing the
soil ?

Hmmmm... why didn't you give yourself some room to manoeuvre?! These
spuds of yours sound gigantic! Surely you don't need such a wide space
and could mount the soil up which would bring you closer to the middle.
Have you marked with a string or sticks where you've planted? Also,
your carrots, raddishes and parsnips will need to be thined down. How
are you going to get to them?! You need to mark out some path with
planks or even bricks, but you need to get to them!

I have a draw hoe with a very long handle which help me to reach those
difficult places. You can find them in any good garden tools shops. I
think I got mine in Birmingham years ago in one of those Witnes, of
Widnes or Whities something like this store.