Old 26-04-2006, 02:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Glenna Rose

Default Kiwi flowering

writes:
My kiwi vines have small buds for the first time (they're about 4 years
old now).

They haven't actually flowered yet, and I'm interested in what they'll
look like.

My question: assuming that these buds mean I'll be getting fruit this
year, how do you tell when a kiwi is ripe?

Mine are hardy kiwi which are grape-size so will base my comments on my
own experience. They won't be ripe until fall and will be soft when fully
ripe. You can eat them earlier but will miss the truly luscious flavor of
them.

Enjoy. Next year you will have considerably more.

Fortunately, I have a male, female and a self-pollinator. You see, the
male is budding now but no one else is so he will probably be fully in
bloom too early. Bummer. OTH, the self-pollinator will help pollinate
the female.

These are special plants, these kiwis. :-)

Glenna