Old 25-04-2006, 09:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
wendy7

Default pest or disease? Pot. Hoku Gem

Hi there Mary & welcome. You have received some good advice but if
it were my plant, I would go one step further & repot it. Wash the roots
well & spray with a Physan solution 1/2 tsp in a spray bottle (1quart of water?)
Do not let your plant sit in water as too wet leads to rot etc.
Come back & let us know how she goes.
--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

wrote:
Long-time lurker here, hoping someone can help me!

My Potinara Hoku Gem 'Sunspots', which I've had for about 3 years, has
recently developed some red spots on it, as well as some brown
"bubbly" blisters. I thought the blisters might be scale, but
couldn't just rub it off, so I scratched one of the blisters, which
of course left an open wound on the plant. There is one leaf which is
worse than the others, and it is completely closed up.

here are some links to pics of the plant:
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...otsredarea.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...spotsbumps.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...potsbumps3.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...potsbumps2.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...GSunspots2.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...GSunspots1.jpg

Could the red spots be sun burn? I grow in a south facing window and
have always had the plant in the same spot. None of my other orchids
near it (BLCs) have any problems (yet). I have quaranteened the
problem plant.

What about the brown bubbly blister spots? another form of scale or
another pest, or maybe disease? SHould I just cut off the problem
leaves and dust with cinnamon? Is this something I should worry might
spread to my phrags, brassias, and others, or might they be safe
because they have a different type of leaf?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Mary