Old 25-04-2006, 10:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
tom&barbara

Default Extremely old compost

Thanks for your thoughts on my old compost folks. I have already
forked it into the veg patch and the borders Janet so unfortunately the
night-soil operative won't get his/her hands on it or my demented
worms! I wondered why they were acting strange ) Now I know.

The worms we found in it and there were absolutely loads, we also
tossed into the veg patch with the compost. I think these were earth
worms. The red ringed type are always around the underside of the lid
of my plastic composter and the ones in the old compost heap were
normal looking. I have to admit this will mean I have been committing
some worm cruelty Micheal because I have been throwing the brandlings
onto the veg patch at every given opportunity, so I have probably
inadvertently killed quite a few of them then? In future I will chuck
them into the composter instead.

I have been thinking a lot lately about having a wormery, at least I
think that's what it's called? Apparently I can put all my green
household waste in it and I believe the juice they create from the
waste is fantastic food for the garden? Anyone else got one?

I'm off to Google it.

Gail