Old 25-04-2006, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
david taylor

Default norfolk island pine

I feared that might be the answer. I have two promising young lads one about
3ft and one 1ft tall.
The 2.4M specimen has served time as a backup Christmas tree and I shall try
to find a good home for it-a car showroom has been suggested. Failing that
I'll give it a go outside (we live in Devon) protect it with fleece in
winter and see what happens.
I tried the middle one out of doors last June and it was immediately
scorched by bright sunshine. It has greened up around the scorched area.
Thanks for your advice.
David T.
wrote in message
oops sent the reply via e/mail here it is again for the group.

g'day david,

not the sort of plant to recommend for hot house or pot culture they
grow very large indeed, as with most pines if you lop the top off they
will grow more shoots that will in turn need lopping, and as with most
pines once they have been lopped they just seem to lose their appeal.

might be time to relegate this one to the compost heap and buy another
smaller one and start all over again, or grow something more suited to
your clime so you can plant it out in the garden.

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--