Old 25-04-2006, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
chris French

Default weeding a veg patch

In message , NC
writes

However, I am starting to get the inevitable weeds coming up too.

Tell me about it, there seem to be a zillion small weed seedling coming
up on the veg patch here in our new house.

Problem is, I can only reach about 3' from each end of the row to pull
them up - there is therefore a 2' section of most rows that I cant get
to! I dont want to stand on the soil as I will compact it (spent ages
cultivating it - fairly high clay content in a new build garden).

If you don't want to walk on the cultivated soil, then I suggest a move
from 'traditional' rows, to a bed system (they don't have to be
'raised') with beds 4-5 feet wide you can reach from paths each side.

Or should I not be so anal and just leave the weeds growing until the
veg is established enough and I'm not so concerned about disturbing the
soil ?

No, bad plan, the bigger the weeds, the harder work it is to be rid of
them.

--
Chris French