Old 26-04-2006, 02:51 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Default koi pond plans in uk

"SkyCatcher" wrote in message
hi,

i want to build a pond for koi in my garden. they wont be for showing -
just
basic koi! i have plenty of space & building expertise & wont to avoid
common mistakes and pitfalls. can anyone point me to a suitable
book/website/resource ? i have googled and suffered information overload.
so
i thought yoiu guys here might be bale to help me weed out the quality
information!

===================
I don't what your soil conditions are but we have a heavy clay soil. When
dry it's like concrete and when wet like mustard. The berm kept sinking.
Make sure you have a good solid berm all around your pond. When it starts
to sink runoff will get into the pond and can foul the water in several
ways. Last summer we had to repair the berm using cement and rebar to keep
it in place. That was quite an undertaking. This year the yard is torn up
as we make a proper and permanent berm on the smaller 800g pond. That's
been the only thing we've had real problems with. Had we done this at the
start 11 years ago we wouldn't have had to go through this now.
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.