Old 26-04-2006, 10:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default quince (cydonia) - edible?

In article , "H Ryder" writes:
| Am thinking of planting a cydonia (quince) in my north facing but large
| enough to get a few hours of sun each day garden (have been put off the
| Judas tree ) but have just read that teh seeds are poisonous - my
| intention was to use the fruit for jams etc. Is it just a case of coring
| them like apples? How poisonous are the seeds? (has anyone eaten one and
| survived ??)

Here we go again :-(

The seeds contain some cyanide, most of which is lost during cooking.
Unless you eat a handful of raw seeds, you are unlikely to come to
harm. Please worry about something more serious, like being killed
by radiation from televisions.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.