Old 26-04-2006, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

Default Recyling garden waste (quick moan)

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "George.com" contains these words:
If
municipalities provide facilities they very often make them easy to use.
Plastic bins provided for glass, tin and plastics. Other forms for the
provision of garden wastes. It isn't difficult once a day to throw the
recyclables in the appropriate bin. If people don't want to recycle then
everything can simply go in the bin. Rupert described a system where

green
waste is recycled, most likely a seperate recepticle for green waste and
another for standard household waste. You may like to explain to me what

is
so difficult about throwing rubbish in the appropriate bin.

Nothing at all..if householders believe that their council really
intends to keep it separate *and can afford to do so*. Rupert mentioned
three sacks colected in a month from a dirt track. I'm sorry to say
that it's an economic quantity for separate collection. It's all too
common where quantities are quite small, for the council just to send
out the one standard collection truck and tip all that carefully sorted
domestic waste back together for landfill :-(.. They have been seen to
fulfill their legal obligation for a politically correct domestic-waste
separation service.

that is a plausible possibility. It is then contingent on the council to be
honest. If it doesn't get recycled, say so. Don't waste peoples time. If
small amounts will not be collected from country areas tell people, don't
waste their time. Whether people actually thought the council was not going
to seperate the waste and acted accordingly is a moot point in Ruperts
example as we will never know unless he interviews each one in turn and
reports back to us. I have a work mate who did not recycle as he believed it
all ended up in a landfill. When I showed him very strong proof that the
waste (glass, cans, plastics 1&2) did get appropriately recycled he did
change his habits.

He is not the usual 'I have no idea where my waste goes' urban consumer
however but made a counscious stand on a matter of thought through logic.
His logic MAY have been correct in years gone by but not according to
current operation. After reviewing his position he changed it. Maybe things
are different in the UK however I doubt peoples general attitudes to
recycling, rubbish and general waste disposal are much different than NZs.

rob