Old 26-04-2006, 02:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emery Davis

Default Small tree??

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 13:12:43 +0100
"Sue" wrote:

"Jandy100" wrote
We have a corner in our garden that is in partial shade & would like
to plant a small (say 5m tall max).

Ideally it would be a spring blossoming tree, we would love a cherry
but all websites lead us to believe that it should be in full sun.

A Japanese acer wouldn't have blossom but many of them are so beautiful
in leaf it hardly matters about that, and then there'd be gorgeous
autumn colours too. In a sheltered spot in partial shade with room
enough for one of these I'd certainly put one on the possible list. You
could underplant with bulbs for the spring flowers.

Many A. japonicum have pretty red flowers which contrast beautifully
with young bright green foliage. One is 'Aconitifolium' which is
widely available and not hard to grow. Common name is Fern Leaf
Full Moon Maple (or something to that effect). It's a showy plant
in 3 seasons, bright red in fall.

It is a common misconception that all "japanese maples" (A. palmatum)
have great fall color. In fact some are selected for spring color,
like 'Katsura' or 'Deshojo' and are not spectacular in fall.

This said there are also some that have flowers that are quite pretty,
and of course one could be found to fit the need here. I have
a 'Villa Taranto' that has delicate red flowers that contrast
nicely with the spidery young leaves.

A Hawthorn is a great suggestion too. Ours is just coming into
bloom now (late this year) and does fine in medium shade. It
has a quite long blooming period.

-E

--
Emery Davis