Old 26-04-2006, 03:40 PM posted to triangle.gardens
Martha Stallmann

Default Alternatives to leaf mulch

Some years ago I used shredded newspaper from the N&O. I can't remember if
it was free or if we paid a small fee. It was after the paper switched to
soybean based ink, so it was safe. We would pick up bales of it downtown at
the N&O building. It was the best mulch I have ever used for a vegetable
garden! It was clean and neat, and did not blow around as you might suspect.
I think the individual shreds sort of held onto each other. Unfortunately,
it's not available anymore as far as I know. If someone reading this
newsgroup knows otherwise I'm sure we will be told!

-Martha

"Elizabeth Lyne" wrote in message
I will be planting my veg. garden this week and have traditionally used
leaves (chopped up with my mower, saved from the fall) as mulch at my old
house (which worked just fine). At my current house, I didn't have enough
leaf mulch (fewer trees) and the weeds took over at times during the
growing season last year. What else should I use for mulch that will be
effective and improve the soil over time (like next year when I till
again)?

Thanks, Elizabeth