Old 26-04-2006, 03:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
david taylor

Default norfolk island pine

Thank you for your concern Sacha, but it is not a serious problem.We were
very taken with the huge Norfolk Island pines when we visited New Zealand in
2002, and bought our tree for about £5 on impulse when we returned home-we
just happened to see it in a garden centre.
In New Zealand the Norfolk island Pine doubles indoors as a Christmas tree.
We've just grown sentimentally attached to this tree which had added about
2M in four years.
Apart from the two other small trees, we could try growing the lead shoot as
a cutting, and also plant the tree out of doors. £5 for an attractive
houseplant that earns its keep at Christmas and keeps for four years is not
too bad.
The tree is listed as a houseplant and apparently there are a number of
varieties-perhaps the others are less vigorous.
Regards
David T
"Sacha" wrote in message
ups.com...
snip

not the sort of plant to recommend for hot house or pot culture they
grow very large indeed, as with most pines if you lop the top off they
will grow more shoots that will in turn need lopping, and as with most
pines once they have been lopped they just seem to lose their appeal.

might be time to relegate this one to the compost heap and buy another
smaller one and start all over again,

I'm sorry but I don't understand why you would advise someone to
consider buying and growing another of the same plant that is clearly
unsuitable to their circumstances? So that it can be killed off
again?

or grow something more suited to
your clime so you can plant it out in the garden.

Now *that* does make sense.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk