Old 26-04-2006, 03:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

Default quince (cydonia) - edible?

"H Ryder" wrote in message
Am thinking of planting a cydonia (quince) in my north facing but large
enough to get a few hours of sun each day garden (have been put off the
Judas tree ) but have just read that teh seeds are poisonous - my
intention was to use the fruit for jams etc. Is it just a case of coring
them like apples? How poisonous are the seeds? (has anyone eaten one and
survived ??)
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)

They are really difficult to cut up - hard as stone - but well worth the effort.
they make wonderful jelly and I use them in Quince Crumble :~)
Jenny