Old 26-04-2006, 08:22 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

Default Shred this

And composting produces CO2, the organisms that live on the decaying
fibres produce CO2. I accept that burning does produce some nasties but
then so does using a shredder by virtue of the production on the
electricity, making the shredder, the packaging, transportation etc
etc. Plethora of other substances seems a bit OTT given that a tree is
only made up from CO2 taken from the atmosphere and a few trace
elements taken from the soil.
Given the few other substances given out by burning verses those given
by buring fossil fuels, not to mention the noise pollution, I don't see
why burning is looked down upon.

Kevin

All true, where the balance of pollution lies I do not know, but although
bonfire ash is good for nutrients when put on the soil I would miss the bags
and bags of mulch my shredder produces each year, and I suspect my
neighbours prefer it to my having bonfires (although I have never asked them
one way or the other)
I think if we are to have less rain mulching more makes sense to avoid
having to water.
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk