Old 26-04-2006, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

Default quince (cydonia) - edible?

"JennyC" wrote in message

"H Ryder" wrote in message
Am thinking of planting a cydonia (quince) in my north facing but large
enough to get a few hours of sun each day garden (have been put off the
Judas tree ) but have just read that teh seeds are poisonous - my
intention was to use the fruit for jams etc. Is it just a case of coring
them like apples? How poisonous are the seeds? (has anyone eaten one and
survived ??)
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)

They are really difficult to cut up - hard as stone - but well worth the

effort.
they make wonderful jelly and I use them in Quince Crumble :~)
Jenny

and they will ripen in the UK but only rarely, mine has done so once in 23
years! normally I put a few in the airing cupboard, I rather like them, but
would grow it for the look of the tree and the wonderful smell in the late
Autumn from the fallen fruit.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk