Old 15-03-2003, 02:32 AM
Tim Tompkins

Default Roses from cuttings

Why do you refer to your reference as the "unhappily named American Rose
Society page"?

The ARS may be a stodgy group of old folks, however it
does more to promote Roses than any organization in the
US.

Tim Tompkins
Life Member of ARS

"Cass" wrote in message
Bob Bauer wrote:

shepherd mentioned:

I know hybrid teas and many other roses can not be propagated

successfully
from cuttings,

This isn't quite true. HT's *can* be propagatged from cuttings. You
might have gotten the wrong impression from reading those of us whining
about the roses that won't strike from softwood cuttings, those of us
who whine about divas that won't grow roots, or those of us who tried
to root florists roses from Ecudor and Columbia and had no luck.

You can propagate the vast majority of roses of whatever kind from
cuttings. Some are easier than others and a few are downright finiky,
but they are very few.

True to the core. Technique becomes important with some roses,
equipment is essential with certain roses, timing is important with all
roses. You can read about different techniques using softwood and
hardwood cuttings at the unhappily named American Rose Society page:

http://www.ars.org/dynaweb/1001124/e...000&W=C&P=N&S=
1001124&U=1&SS=1&&ver=0

Here's another:
http://www.texas-rose-rustlers.com/propagat.htm

but is it possible to use cuttings from climbing roses for
propagating?

Absolutely.

Because of the time and effort involved, I myself limit propagating of
cuttings to varieties that you can't get elsewhere.

I propagate roses I really like and want to share. I have given away
Sally Holmes to a number of guests who came to our home and admired my
plants. One even took two. I propagate old roses I've run into where
the plants to be particularly rare or beautiful. And I propagate roses
that I want more of for my own garden experiments.

This year I took hardwood cuttings for the first time, stuck them in
the fallow vegetable garden, and have watched them start growing. At
least three are varieties that I have never been able to start from
softwood cuttings have at least shown new growth.