Old 26-04-2006, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
p.k.

Default Growing avocado

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:

David your post confirms what I have been told by a few friends
living in London.
One has been so successful that they are attempting to grow Mangifera
Indica (Nam Doc Mai). This variety is supposedly more suited to our
climate.

Ummm, I've got a carefully selected multi stem (multi sprouts from the
original seed) avocado about 10 years old which has now got too big
(2.5mtall) to keep bringing in and out of the house each winter (or so the
boss tells me!) so I was planning one more year on the patio then the dump
but I may give it a go in the ground close to the spot where my loquat
fruited last summer.

Any advice to give it its best chance?

pk