Old 26-04-2006, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

Default Growing avocado

"Dave Poole" wrote

I'm having to post via the dreaded Garden Banter (can't be arsed to sort
out a Usenet provider and am still looking for a sensible and viable ISP
[Wanadoo is the pits!!!]- nuff of that) so I'm not sure how many replies
you've had. If you live within the Greater London conurbation, along
sheltered parts of the south coast or in the far south west, you can
successfully grow avocados to near tree-like proportions if you can
provide wind shelter. As a 3-5 foot high, spindly 'twig' in a pot, it
is a very dull plant indeed. Grown to a few to several metres high and
across, it makes a very impressive shrub or tree with fine foliage.

It does produce in the UK and if you are geographically fortunate, you
may even pick a moderate crop of palatable fruits after a decent
summer. They will not be as large as those in the shops, but be
grateful - this is England and they normally do their stuff in far
warmer places. If you are so inclined, grow your seedling on for a
year, keep it frost free next winter and plant it out during late May
in a sunny corner. Nay-sayers may think otherwise, but I rate it quite
highly, but only for the south.

Dave, how far South are we talking?
I would expect them to perhaps grow in the Central London area in a
sheltered walled garden but you intimate they will take frost to a couple of
degrees or more as in the South every winter. Decades since I tried it
without success but do they really grow here now with things getting warmer?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden