Old 26-04-2006, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Gardner

Default list of poisonous plants

(Nick Maclaren) wrote in
:

Laburnum and yew are almost the ONLY common plants that are similar to
food and lethal in the quantities that a child will normally eat - and
yew rarely produces berries on clipped plants.

Heh. When I was I kid my father said yew berries were
edible. I asked if both the red flesh and the hard
"kernel" were edible and he said it was probably better
not to eat the kernel.

So I only ate the red flesh, and only of one berry.
Just as well really.

I still get on well with my father[*], and enjoy reminding
him of this occasionally.

Partly because hw would occasionally bring home things
such as conc hydrochloric acid and Iron (II) Sulphide (IIRC)
in his coat pocket. Used it to stink the kitchen out
on Christmas Day, with hydrogen sulphide, of course.