Old 26-04-2006, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Gardner

Default list of poisonous plants

"H Ryder" wrote in
:

I know that lots of plants are described as "poisonous" when in fact
they just give you a bit of a bad tummy, whilst others can be fatal. I
have small children so am trying to rid the garden of anythign fatal
to them but do not mind the "bad tummy" plants. Does anyone know where
I can find out just how poisonous plants are? Am especially interested
in Daphnes as I'd love to have one but have avoided getting one as
they seem "very poisonous" but I am not sure of this. Also please let
me know of any common plant which is fatal to children - I know of
Lords and Ladies (Acorus calamus ) and nightshade but am not sure of
others. (I also know that I can tell them not to eat anything but that
does not work in a garden full of raspberries etc - they know that
they can eat some stuff )

Are you also going to make sure they never go for a
walk in the countryside because they might find exactly
those things?

And don't forget to prevent them going into the garden
until after you've checked there aren't any fungi growing
(ergot and cordyceps militaris being two of the lesser
known but more entertaining examples

Can't wrap them in cotton wool forever, even though I know
that particular temptation.