Old 26-04-2006, 11:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default Growing avocado

In article ,
Dave Poole writes:

| It does produce in the UK and if you are geographically fortunate, you
| may even pick a moderate crop of palatable fruits after a decent
| summer. They will not be as large as those in the shops, but be
| grateful - this is England and they normally do their stuff in far
| warmer places. If you are so inclined, grow your seedling on for a
| year, keep it frost free next winter and plant it out during late May
| in a sunny corner. Nay-sayers may think otherwise, but I rate it quite
| highly, but only for the south.

Interesting. I didn't get around to posting, but it is definitely a
SUB-tropical plant, and it takes light frost in California, Africa etc.
Apparently, there are a couple of species that are hardier, but I don't
think that any would survive in my garden :-(

On an unrelated matter, my Feijoa came through last winter in a pot
with no protection and without dropping leaves - and the soil froze
several times. That is most definitely a plant that deserves more
attention. My pomegranate did, too, but I didn't expect that to
worry too much about frost as such.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.