Old 27-04-2006, 11:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Douglas@Canberra_Australia

Default Why are my roses purple - Followup (Check PH)

Jason,
really is an interesting problem.

Is the flower of the "lavender" okalahoma a different form / shape?
It could be either a sport or a mis-label..

For the others, maybe just put it down to some sort of short term plant
stress.

You mentioned your soil as being fairly clayey.
Did you use any sort of clay breaker / gypsum?
These often have an alkaline effect (that I presume reduces over time)

Glad for you that most of the plants have reverted to expectations.

Regards,
Douglas.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Well, I haven't tested the pH, but...

The Mister Lincoln roses, which produced the striking purple flowers
the first go-round, are now producing roses of the proper color. As
soon as the latest storms knocked the purple flowers off, the plants
began opening rich red buds. The Climbing Blaze bushes are now opening
up flowers that are still a little off, but are now closer to red than
orange. As for the Oklahomas, I suspect that one of them may have been
mislabeled. I have three. One that is supposed to be an Oklahoma is
producing lavender flowers, while the Oklahoma right next to it is
producing rich red blooms.

Jason