Old 27-04-2006, 10:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Douglas@Canberra_Australia

Default Need help please.

Transplanting is always an option.

Last year I transplanted a 30 Year old climber in Mid Summmer at 100F temps
(we were also in drought with severe water restrictions),
the main root was as large as my wrist and just had to be cut through.

The main rule is to reduce the amount of leaf area to compensate for the
amount of root lost.
This avoids the plant becoming water stressed (more water exiting
through leaves than is coming in through the roots)

You can prune heavily, and/or remove literally every leaf.
The plant will use the nutrients stored in the canes to regenerate roots and
leaves.

For the climber, I reduced the canes to 50% by number keeping the best and
longest, and removed every single leaf (gloves highly recommended)
The roots had to be removed almost completely from a lump of underground
stems/roots about 18 inches across.
Careful watering and mulching, and we had a few autumn flowers and then a
great spring display.

As another respondent mentioned you could also use the prunings to make
cuttings as a back up plan.

Hope it works out for you.
Regards,
Douglas.

"Ashley Daley" wrote in message
Let me start by saying that I know nothing really about roses but I hope
someone here can help me.
We recently had to move my grandmother from her home due to Alzheimers.
Now
we are going to have to sell her home. One of the few things she remembers
are her roses. We would like to move 1 rose that she has to her new home
with family members. Is it possible to start roses with cuttings or is the
only way to dig it up. Time is also going to be a problem as we can not
wait
until the fall.
Thank you in advance for your help.

Sad.