Old 27-04-2006, 05:08 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Dan

Default In NJ, can you weed before fertilizing?

wrote:
George.com wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"Dan" wrote:
wrote:

How long should I wait after reseeding to fertilize and spray weed
killer?

I had some large bare spots that I prepped and seeded with
Kentucky Blue grass three weeks ago, but the weeds are growing
faster than the sprouts. Wash. DC area.

Dan

Three to four cuttings before applying broadleaf weed control to new
seedlings.

and if you check the instructions they will often say use a weaker
mix on new grass

rob

I agree with the weed control advice.

For the fertilizer, you should have applied a starter fertilizer when
you seeded it. If not, then I'd apply one now.

Yeah, I did apply a starter fertilizer before seeding. I was wondering
about the rest of the lawn that I reseeded at the same time.

The weed problem is one of the reasons that Fall is the best time to
do seeding. There is less competition from weeds

I did try reseeding last Fall, but I guess I started too late in Oct.
An early frost and cold temps set in by mid Nov. and ended the growing
season for the seedlings.

Thanks for the helpful info, Gentlemen.

Dan