Old 27-04-2006, 08:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

Default Weed'n'feed application disaster!

"Neil" wrote in message
Seeing all the lawn ween and feed products in the stores, I decided (and
it was a close thing) to buy Evergreen Complete and their Easy distributor
(on wheels) to distribute accurately.

My lawns total around 140 sq m front and back, but I'd used all 200 sqm of
the tub doing around 75% of the lawn. I wish I'd stopped, but it was last
Saturday, with good conditions as per the use recommendations and I
couldn't see how I could be doing anything wrong.

Overnight Saturday, and again on Sunday we had some rain.
On calling Scotts on Monday to complain as I'd had to buy another tub of
granules, they said that it sounded like I'd used double the application
rate of 35g/sq.m.

They said that my lawn may become scorched, which made me most unhappy as
I've tended for it well since it was laid in turfs in my new home last May
& August.

Scotts advised to spike the lawn and then soak it. Spiking it almost
killed me. Soaking it probably cost me £15 on my water meter (we have no
hose-ban here).

Now the lawn is looking badly scorched around some edges and variably
scorched in other areas.

I tried a test application on some polythene, and as far as I am concerned
the issue is the distributor, which has an on-off kick lever, but isn't
flow-rated by speed of walking. I tested my speed before using originally
and had that right, but in the later test it dumps a whole load of
granuals in the second or two it takes to start moving once turned on, or
stop it once you've stopped moving.

I took the spreader back for a refund as suggested by Scotts, but they
weren't wholly helpful beyond that and their advice. They suggested
their next spreader up was better (more reliable). It can't be any less
so. :-(

I'm doing yet more watering and some more forking on worst bits, but am
truly sick of it, and irritated by the whole thing and it's impact.

What should I do to keep the lawn as best as I can? Or will it recover
itself over time?
Will I need to re-seed the worst areas?

Neil

Given time it will recover. To cover a few small brown patches just use
plugs of grass from other parts of the lawn.
Perhaps I am out of touch with the correct way to broadcast fertiliser/seed
but when I used a spreader (cyclone sort) I used half the recommended amount
and spread twice.
It's a much safer way and gives a better distribution.