Old 27-04-2006, 10:29 PM posted to rec.gardens
J~

Default newbie~~~ Border under Tree for Grass Question

After moving into our house I re-did the entire front yard. We have a 20
year old Maple in the corner of the yard, beautiful tree and want to
keep if for it shades the house most afternoons in the summer. I removed
all grass from the base out to drip line ( where branches stop). I want
to put down a defining border but the roots of the tree are so close to
surface can't dig down much. I would like to be able to mow next to it
and not edge every 2 weeks to maintain a clean looking lawn.

Any one have experience with this? I have asked around but no one really
has answer out of just cut the roots in the way.. I am afraid this
would /might kill the tree.

I want to put bark dust or color rock around base of tree so it will
look nice after putting down weed paper.

thanks,
J~