Old 28-04-2006, 02:36 AM posted to rec.gardens
Philip Lewis

Default How do you propagate wild violets?

I look forward to seeing them in the spring.

I like the as well and encourage them wherever i find them,
transplating them to where i'd like them the most.

Personally, if I were you, I'd dig up a few of the specked and whites
ones and mail them to me... I mean put them in a pot to give them the
best conditions they can. Once they fill the pot, scatter them around
the yard. It might be that the speckled ones are a hybrid of the
purple and white varieties, in which case vegetative division is your
most certain option. I don't know if the rhizomes can be cut to split
the plant.

We've been converting the entire front yard to a flower bed... if the
violets can work with the sedum to make a natural groundcover, i'd be
happy. (but then, I hate grass. (we just bought 33 6packs of
violets at $.60 each... woo hoo! course, now I have to plant them.)

We only have purple ones, though... I'm only half kidding about
mailing the colors other than purple.
(I'd send postage and such via paypal of course...)

ooo.. the confererate
violet is pretty:
http://images.google.com/images?q=violet+confederate

--