Old 27-04-2006, 09:31 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

Default Aphids on Lily leaves

I read in a gardening magazine they're a waste to buy. They fly away once
released and the numbers in your yard or garden remain about the same. They
said the same thing for Praying Mantis.

This is what they claim in MG classes also. I found if you have a good
source (I had a heavily infested wisteria) and you follow the directions on
the bag, which say, wet source and release bugs after dark. They will stay
long enough to clean up the infestation. There wasn't an aphid left to be
found on the wisteria a week later.

Now I have put them on a lily pad, sometimes it works and sometimes it just
****es off the lady bug, who immediately flies away.

Personally I'm still for hand squishing them.

Even if Safer's is totally safe around fish (and for the most part it
probably is, even though the bottle's I've seen say do not apply around
aquatic animals) it will still leave an oil slick on your water surface.
Depending on your filtration and flow the slick will either leave quickly
or dissipate after a day or so. ~ jan
See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~