Old 27-04-2006, 11:11 PM posted to rec.ponds
Gill Passman

Default Impersonation

Richard Sexton wrote:
In article ,
Gill Passman wrote:

Yeah, they can switch there ID quite legally but assuming someone elses
ID I believe is illegal....or will be very soon....

It's illegal. Lemme tell you what happened to me. There was a distrubing influence
in another area of my interests. After a coulple of years putting up with his
inane and non-productive crock'o'crap I put up a funny webpage that purported
to send mail from him with any one of four of his usually "witty" remarks.

I never got a complaint about it from him or anybody else.

What I did get though was two provincial policemen from the computer
crimes division assereting that if I didn't take this down then I'd
be charged with no less than four felonies. Impersonation was the
first one, I don't remember the rest and it's questionable in my mind
if they'd have stuck. Whatever.

I took the page down and don't play that game no more.

Another thing that crosses my mind from time to time is actually whether
there is some legislation somewhere that can penalise these people from
denying us our rights to discuss on-topic stuff on usenet...not just
what they do to one another but what they do to the innocent
bystanders...they are subjecting us to pornographic crap and their
bizzare fantasies...now that I believe is illegal...

Gill