Old 27-04-2006, 11:03 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Dan

Default In NJ, can you weed before fertilizing?

Dan wrote:
wrote:

In your area, I'd be reseeding in Sept, which is optimum. Even early
Oct should still be fine. Past that, you run the risk of cooler
weather and not enough time for the grass to harden a bit to survive
the winter. Plus, it depends what you seed with. Blue grass takes
several weeks to get going, while a tall fescue will be coming up in
a week.

This was my first try at Blue grass. Man, that stuff is slow to sprout.

If it doesn't fill in well, I will certainly be starting in Sept. next go
round.

I took your advice last sept. and aerated, spread a 1\4" of compost and
applied starter fertilizer.
Last year the temps were still in the 90s in mid Sept. here. I thought it
was too hot to spread seed. I was prolly wrong about that, huh?