Old 28-04-2006, 12:41 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Steveo

Default In NJ, can you weed before fertilizing?

"Dan" wrote:
Steveo wrote:
"Dan" wrote:
I took your advice last sept. and aerated, spread a 1\4" of compost
and
applied starter fertilizer.
Last year the temps were still in the 90s in mid Sept. here. I
thought it was too hot to spread seed. I was prolly wrong about
that, huh?

Have you tried slice-seeding it yet?

No, I haven't. I had never heard of it before seeing your posts about it.
I have been following the threads here on that subject trying to learn
more. I did see in another post today that you are using one daily at
this time. Is that the preffered way to seed by pro. LC companies?

It's the cheapest way to deliver your seed to soil. Tree roots and low
spots are its enemy tho. I've killed 12000 sq ft of nice level root free
lawn with roundup and slice seeded it a week later and had great results.
5K or less are much more frequent tho in my market.

When you get real good at it, I'll tell you how much to charge per sq/ft.

You can rent a slice-seeder at your local rent-a-joint. Use 10 lbs of seed
per 1000 sq ft, instead of the 5 they suggest too. (try to find a ryan
mataway if you can) trade secret.

It ain't rocket science but there is a recipe for Ohio turfgass, and that's
the only one that concerns me so far. It works real well.