Old 27-04-2006, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Trefor Jones

Default Wormeries !

"adm" wrote in message
Dear All,

I'm thinking of getting a wormery to dispose of all my organic and food
waste. I like the idea of having it all enclosed rather than just sitting

on
the top of the compost heap attracting rats etc...

Does anyone have nay experience with this kind of thing, or can you
recommend another approach ?

http://www.originalorganics.co.uk/wormeries.htm

My daughter gave me one for Christmas. I set it up as per the instructions
but nothing much seemed to be happening except that there were a few worms
around the edge of the lid whenever I opened it and a few escapees. After
about 6 weeks I decided to empty the thing to see if there were any worms
working. I found about 25 in all but when I lifted the partition keeping the
compost from the liquid the bottom was full of dead worms!
I ordered some more worms and kept them in a plastic box full of lovely
compost whilst canvassing the urglers for advice. (See postings around
05/03/06). I was woken up one morning by a scream from the present Mrs Jones
who had found the hall crawling with escaping worms!

Best advice I got was to empty the lot onto the compost heap but I do not
want to incur the wrath of number 2 daughter!

Trefor