Old 27-04-2006, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

Default Moso Bamboo

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)" contains these words:

The biggest culms I have seen in the UK are on PHYLLOSTACHYS 'SHANGHAI a
mere 3" in diameter.

Does that grow in your garden, Rupert, or is it tender?

Janet

Despite the group warnings about bamboo I planted P.Shanghai a few weeks
ago. It is supposedly hardy and the one I got had been overwintered outside
in Norfolk. Slight frost burn on a few leaves but otherwise very healthy.
This is what the supplier (Amulree) says about it:-
"This bamboo is set to revolutionise gardening in the uk,we are the first
nursery to offer this beast for sale.The biggest bamboo we can grow in our
temperate climate reaching approx 11m high,its thick,glossy,dark green canes
are almost 3ins in diameter,make sure you have the space as this will scare
the neighbours."

It was the last few words of their description that made it a must have:-)