Old 28-04-2006, 03:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Eleni

Default Wormeries !

"adm" wrote in message
Dear All,

I'm thinking of getting a wormery to dispose of all my organic and food
waste. I like the idea of having it all enclosed rather than just sitting
on the top of the compost heap attracting rats etc...

Does anyone have nay experience with this kind of thing, or can you
recommend another approach ?

http://www.originalorganics.co.uk/wormeries.htm

I've just had a look at the wormeries in the link above and my wormery looks
much like the smaller 'junior wormery', except it was somewhat cheaper.
It's just an old style dustbin isn't it? I bought mine from Wilkos I think
it was, drilled a hole in it, fitted a tap, stuck it on bricks... It cost a
£5 or so in total.

I've made a few adjustments over the years like adding ventilation holes
because the worms can get too hot living in that plastic, and made sure it's
in the shade in the summer and a bit sheltered during winter. I also made
sure the holes were covered in mesh because I had a wasp problem a while
ago.

It is only small, suitable for one person as the link says, but why not have
several bins on the go at once?

All the best, Eleni.