Old 28-04-2006, 05:43 PM posted to rec.gardens
I Love Lucy

Default How do you propagate wild violets?

"Philip Lewis" wrote in message

I look forward to seeing them in the spring.

I like the as well and encourage them wherever i find them,
transplating them to where i'd like them the most.

Personally, if I were you, I'd dig up a few of the specked and whites
ones and mail them to me... I mean put them in a pot to give them the
best conditions they can. Once they fill the pot, scatter them around
the yard. It might be that the speckled ones are a hybrid of the
purple and white varieties, in which case vegetative division is your
most certain option. I don't know if the rhizomes can be cut to split
the plant.

I think I will try that because I tried to find a little info on the net
and gathering the seeds at the right time and preserving them correctly
until fall might be tricky. I didn't find anything about rhizomes, but
I'll be doing well to get my neighbor some of those lily of the valley
ones in the fall that are growing in the crack of my sidewalk. I wish
one of those would mutate into something interesting. And I've got a
Queen Elizabeth rose from years ago that died back to the rootstock and
puts out those dark red blooms. The thing has gone absolutely nuts; if
I don't tack it to a trellis or the house, it will be up to the roof by
next year.

We've been converting the entire front yard to a flower bed... if the
violets can work with the sedum to make a natural groundcover, i'd be
happy. (but then, I hate grass. (we just bought 33 6packs of
violets at $.60 each... woo hoo! course, now I have to plant them.)

These I can't remember if I've seen in seed catalogs. I'm sure they
aren't that unusual, but I've found five plants out there and want to
preserve them, if possible. I've let some unusual mutants slip through
my fingers, one was a viola that was pale yellow with a pale blue
border. Another was a totally weird dandelion. Can't think what plant
to compare it to and don't care for dandelions, but it might have cured
something. It had a short stem, compact leaves, was long and thick in
one flower if you can call it that.

We only have purple ones, though... I'm only half kidding about
mailing the colors other than purple.
(I'd send postage and such via paypal of course...)

I just got a notice from paypal thanking me for my order for a computer
to the tune of $1175 USD, to be shipped to some guy in Palm Bay, Florida
with an unconfirmed address (better not name him or give the street
address). Problem is I cancelled my paypal account several months back
for this very reason. I tried to log in and was blocked, so I don't
know what is with that, reported it, an exercise in futility, and will
check my charge card and bank account to make sure somebody hasn't
stolen my id.

I also asked paypal for my password and haven't heard back.

Oh, and thanks for the idea to pot them.

ooo.. the confererate
violet is pretty:
http://images.google.com/images?q=violet+confederate

--