Old 28-04-2006, 03:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett

Default eAOS

"Susan Erickson" wrote in message
On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 08:39:53 -0700, "K Barrett"
wrote:

As to danny's remark that adding judging centers is like adding
professional
baseball teams, I agree. I worry about dilution, too. But the thing that
can't get past is that Central Valley people just *don't* drive into the
Bay
Area. The traffic sucks and its really too far, not in distance but in
time
to get there, especially depending on the traffic. That's why they put an
international airport in Sacramento, LOL!! Not because its a hub of
international fervor, but becasue its more convenient to people who live
in
the Valley. I figure if you're not going to drive to SFO or OAK to fly
out
on a vacation why would you drive there to show an orchid? So I look at
it
in terms of outreach. We'll see what happens. I hope we don't fall on our
faces.

Additionally, if you look at the annual shows the Pac Central judges, they
are all in easy driving range for judges who live down the Peninsula. No
one offers to drive to Reno, or Chico or Stockton or Fresno, or any of the
other little societies in the Pac Central region. I'm hoping they'll
'come
out come out whereever they are' and have us judge their shows (or at
least
ask for speakers). Who knows? Maybe more societies will form. Like
Steve,
he got the ball rolling on a society in upper New York. They meet at a
local restaurant and have maybe 16 members. Maybe the same will happen in
Marysville or Cottonwood or Weed (there'sa thought) or Rob's favorite
town,
Yreka.

As to laptop color, I was talking to Greg Allikas and he said the same
thing. Color between monitors is going to be a problem. I thought
photoshopping pics was going to be a bigger problem, but he disagreed. He
was more concerned that everyone's laptop be on the same page. So we'll
see
what developes along that front as time goes by. Actually, the idea of a
judge actually springing for a laptop is laughable. I'm getting ticked at
being the only one at a show with one. (Oh! You have a laptop! Can you
look up the parentage for this cross to the 3rd generation and see if any
of
the parents have an award? Then give me the AQs and tell me if there are
any
pictures? Or does that have pictures on it? What do you mean I should do
my own research? That you are busy trying to judge your own flower? Well!
never!) I suppose I should toss in a *G* there so anyone reading this
years
from now doesn't think I'm a total jerk. [*G*]

I can't remember who developed the eAOS program. I'm out of touch with the
AOS anymore. I know argh, what's his name... ergh the fellow who did the
original AOS award CD [blank]. Anyway, he did a presentation on it for the
Judges' Forum at Santa Rosa. We'll see if they actually update it as
frequently as they say (monthly?? Bi-monthly? Something like that). Would
be cool if its true. I hope they have a better platform than the AOS
award
data program. Everyone here hates that thing.

Interestingly, we awarded a Pot Martha Clarke a few days ago in Oakland.
When I received the latest copy of 'the Orchid Digest' (the magazine) I
believe they have the pictures captioned wrong in the Fred Clarke article.
I believe the one with the flares is Martha Clarke and the solid yellow
one
is the other Pot. So award pics can help in other ways. But the point
that
the AOS pics will never make it out into non-AOS publications is true.

Don't kill the messenger - But you are to install this on ONLY 2
machines. And they have controls. On the other side of the coin -
they said the JC's would each get two copies.

I take my machine to all judgings... our center has one machine, 3 of
us bring our own laptops with our own installed software. I guess
having a couple of AOS Committee members (Tech, Lib, and Exec, I
think) has rubbed off on the rest of us.

But John and I use 3 laptops when we register plants for the OS's
show. I would rather have E-AOS on my desktop, so now it is a debate.
His machine, mine or the laptops we use to register.. We have it on
one laptop and I think it will go on one desktop.

The promised update rate is Monthly. It is to be the prelim for the
next AQ. They think they will have enough information together to
make a download. Also with the photos, it will take a while to
download the update.

SuE

Give us a minute, I'm sure someone here will figure a fiddle around the
limitation, (wink).(We've done it before.) Why oh why they have someone
outside Silicon Valley write their code is beyond me. *G*

I'll let you know