Old 28-04-2006, 07:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Oh dear, new gardeners!

Sue writes

"Bob Hobden" wrote
Just back from the allotment.

Over the weekend one of the new gardening crowd (a young family) has
obviously been to the Garden Centre and bought young plants, OK in
itself, but then they have planted them out on their exposed plot!

snip

Do I say something if I see them or just keep quiet and let them learn
the hard way?
(I suspect, damned if I do, damned if I don't)

We all have to start somewhere and make our own mistakes but some timely
knowledgeable advice can't but be a Good Thing. If it was me I'd welcome
some pointers from an experienced grower 'cos I don't know much about
veggie growing. But I know what you mean - you never know if people
will get humpty about being told where they're making mistakes and you
don't want to put the newcomers off when they're keen. Perhaps you could
stop and have a chat when you see them next and just slip in an offer to
be ready with advice from an 'old hand' if they feel they need it. Then
they will feel welcomed and have the opening to ask right there what you
think about what they're growing at the moment, or they can leave it for
the future if they have problems.

Could try chatting and asking questions "I've never planted my runners
on wigwams - do you find it works well? No wind rock?" - in other words,
talk to them as if they are as expert as you and have made sound
decisions based on their experience. Then they can admit ignorance if
they feel comfortable with that, or not if not, and you haven't made
them lose face.

--
Kay