Old 28-04-2006, 07:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default list of poisonous plants

Nick Maclaren writes

In article .com,
"Sacha" writes:

| However, you say that the sap isn't life-threatening but that is one
| of the most toxic plants going. A friend of ours ended up in hospital
| after contact with it. He had horrible blisters and three years later,
| the areas of his skin affected, still react badly to exposure to
| sunlight. It's definitely not a plant to take lightly or to recommend
| to others, IMO. Anyway, Hayley, I'm sorry - that was a mistake on my
| part.

I would (and did) take the "chemical burn" plants more seriously than
the "poisonous" ones. If a child gets the sap on its hands, and rubs
its eyes, that could be VERY bad news. And that is actually a likely
scenario, unlike a child munching random unpalatable leaves, digging
up and eating roots etc.

My son is allergic to grass sap - I can well remember the sight of him
with his eyes (and I mean his eyeballs, not the skin around) swollen
like a large plastic bag.
--
Kay