Old 29-04-2006, 09:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mulberry gender issues

echinosum wrote:

I think both trees are Morus nigra.

After looking into it a bit, I reckon you are right.

The second seedling isn't a Morus at all, it is a weed.

Thanks!

In that case I have seventeen Morus Nigra seedlings - and seven
"weeds".

Regarding the possibility that the weeds are elderberry seedlings -
there /is/ a large elderberry tree in my garden - and contamination
through the soil is a definite possibility.

I've grown elderberries from that tree from cuttings - and these look
pretty different - they have leaves grouped in collections of five,
rather than three and one in the seedlings - but maybe they'll start
producing fives as they get bigger.

Regarding taste - mulberries are a gourmet berry - however they are
both
messy and easily damaged, and so they rarely reach the shop shelves:
you
have to get them off the tree. Mulberry leaves are pretty good too.