Old 29-04-2006, 09:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default list of poisonous plants

In article .com,
tom&barbara wrote:

... "Ooh, Monkshood, I love it, but you do know it's extremely
poisonous don't you"? I had no idea at all and immediately stopped
putting the flowers in the house. I still have loads of it growing all
over the garden, it is so pretty it's hard to believe it could have
such a bad reputation.

Why stop? Unless you munch into it, it won't harm you. Many of the
most beautiful plants are among the most poisonous. Try Gloriosa,
Brugmansia and Oleander.

I have to say that I have followed this thread closely and have learned
loads. I didn't know that potato, runner beans, tomatoes or
horseradish were poisonous! I did know of Rhubarb but only because a
friend of mine when we were kids picked some leaves and cooked them for
her dad's tea because she thought they were cabbage leaves. He ended
up in hospital a very sick man!

Quite. Never eat any part of a potato except the tubers, never eat
green tubers, and don't eat potato raw if even slightly green. The
same applies to all parts of the tomato except the fruit (which is
edible ripe or green). It is the roots of runner beans that are
poisonous, but never eat runner or dwarf/French beans raw once they
start to ripen.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.