Old 29-04-2006, 01:54 PM posted to rec.ponds
DavidM

Default pond fish pregnant?

garyjohn_99 wrote, On 29/04/2006 13:20:
Hi all, I am in England an have had a garden pond for three years with
goldfish but never had babies. I have noticed this morning that one of
the goldfish looks pregnant and is constantly followed by another. Does
this mean she is pregnant and if so, how do I stop the babies being
eaten as I guess this is what will happen???? Or, do I separate the
goldfish so the babies cant be eaten??

First, the mummy fish and the daddy fish have a special cuddle as the
mummy fish lays thousands of eggs round the pond. There are no babies at
this stage.

I doubt you will have much luck fishing out the eggs, they are pretty
tiny. Once the fry are hatched you will find it equally difficult to
fish them out without a very fine net. Spawning tanks are used when the
eggs/fry are to be collected for growing on, all a bit involved for
goldfish. Probably best not to get too attached to the little things at
this early stage, you might get luck and find a few survivors later in
the year. Everything that size gets sucked up and minced by the pump in
my pond.

--
-------
# | |