Old 29-04-2006, 09:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default norfolk island pine

Sacha writes

K wrote:
Sacha writes
I'm sorry but I don't understand why you would advise someone to
consider buying and growing another of the same plant that is clearly
unsuitable to their circumstances? So that it can be killed off again?

Isn't that what we do whenever we grow *anything* which is perennial but
can't survive a UK winter? ;-)

When it's a tree which grows to X feet and has outgrown a conservatory?
Hardly. That would be what WE do with e.g. Dahlis Imperialis not with
Dahlia Engelhard'ts Matador.

I don't see the difference between terminating a plant's life because we
are growing it in a country which has winters too cold for it, or
perpetually cutting it back to 6ft when it's normally a forest tree (eg
a beech hedge), or growing something for a few years in a conservatory
although you know you'll eventually have to get rid of it when it's too
large.
--
Kay