Old 29-04-2006, 06:05 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-LoŠ

Default pond fish pregnant?

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 09:38:58 -0700, Carl Beyer
wrote:
In article .com,
"garyjohn_99" wrote:

Hi all, I am in England an have had a garden pond for three years with
goldfish but never had babies. I have noticed this morning that one of
the goldfish looks pregnant and is constantly followed by another. Does
this mean she is pregnant and if so, how do I stop the babies being
eaten as I guess this is what will happen???? Or, do I separate the
goldfish so the babies cant be eaten??

An egg laden fish can can get bigger.

^^^^^^^^^Now this is really an understatement if I ever saw
any.........and how did you come up with this brilliant deduction?
Inquiring minds want to know.

I doubt it is any sort of
disease as the male fish is encouraging the female to deposit eggs by
bumping her.

I had one female who died from this process, way to aggressive fish beat
the crap out of her and I did not catch it in time.

This said, you should start seeing white foam on the top of your pond.
This is the eggs (fertilized?). In the wild the eggs would get into
thick clumps of grass and start to develop.

In a pond there are lots of pressures and without a great hiding system
setup the fish will probably not develop.

I know people who create tanks for all of this to happen,but that is way
too much work. Let nature sort it out for me ;-)

Hope this info helps.

Carl

Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1982.
Aquariums since 1956.
Some assholes Pond & Aquarium Pages:
http://tinyurl.com/9do58
*Note: There are several *Koi-Lo's* on rec.ponds.
But, I am the one and only original Koi-Lo.