Old 29-04-2006, 08:41 PM posted to sci.bio.botany
Amanda

Default flowering of Epiphyllum oxypetalum

Pismo wrote:

Hi Amanda,

Could this be what you were thinking of...?

http://www.fcps.k12.va.us/StratfordL...ages/hummingbi...

Actually, I had two flying around my star jasmine and my Mexican bush
sage late one evening, just before sundown last summer.

Had never seen one before, or since.

WOW! What a georgous insect!

That one is one of the many types of Hawk Moths (genus Sphingidae). I
was trying to look for a specific species that pollinates Epiphillum
oxypentalum to answer the initial question but I couldnt find
anything. I'm not sure if it is a single species or various species. I
havent had time to look into it further but its remained on my mind
since my first post.

amanda