Old 29-04-2006, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wormeries !

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message .com
from contains these words:

I will
just continue to use my normal compost heaps but I am still reluctant
to put cooked food on them

I can't get my head round anyone throwing away left-over cooked food
in the compost bin!

Although we have a dog and cat, they count themselves lucky to get any
leftovers (the skin and meat pickings from chicken carcases after I've
made stock). If we have leftover meat, it goes into spaghetti sauce or
some variant of shepherds pie or pasties. If it's veg or carbohydrate,
it goes into any of the above , or soup. If it's fat, it's bird food. If
its bones, it gets buried under plants. Even the gloppy scrapings from
the porridge pan (scorned by cat and dog) are eagerly eaten by birds
:-)

We have a cat and no dog and the cat gets nothing. My family are
vegetarian (all of them). Left over meat gets pout in the fridge until
I either eat it or it goes mouldy. I then dump it. If you cannot get
your head round that then good luck to you. We are in the process of
getting a green cone jobby where the left overs will go in the future.
In the meantime, the tiny amounts get dumped. I simply do not have the
time or energy to make shepherds pie or bubble and squeak every
evening.
As it is, we are easily the best recyclers of any family I know. That
is city life with young kids.

Janet