Old 30-04-2006, 12:14 PM posted to rec.gardens
Johnny Borborigmi

Default Groundhog problems...

On 2006-04-29 23:35:06 -0400, said:

I just purchased a home and have discovered that it has a major
groundhog problem. My backyard looks like swiss cheese! I am buying a
havahart trap and the groundhog deterent that they sell. My only issue
is what to do with the groundhog after I've trapped it. In NY one is
not allowed to transport an animal without a license, so relocation is
out. According to NY State, the suggested method is euthanization
(since these are vermin). In trying to think about ways to get this
done, I thought about the use of a BB Gun -- Has anyone had experience
at dispatching groundhogs (at close range) with an air pistol? Is it
doable?

Use the have a heart, trap them and take them a few miles away. I'm in
NY too and despite the law I'm not paying some load to catch and rid me
of these things. I got rid of 4 last year. Just drive somewhere wooded
away from houses, etc. and let them out. I put mine on the passenger
side seat with the head end facing the door. I pull over, open the
door, lift the gate on the door site and the little *******s fly out
and into the woods. Whole thing takes a few seconds. I cover the trap
to keep it calm and cover again when done and drive home.