Old 30-04-2006, 10:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Pond - fish - cats

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
"BoyPete" wrote in message
I am in the last stages of finishing a pond, and hopefully will introduce
fish this weekend or next. But, lately I have noticed a neighbours cat
sitting on my garden wall....................looks like it could be
problem. I recall my dad using one of those electronic cat deterrent
things......totally useless. Any suggestions for humanely keeping the
little beggar away appreciated.
--
ßôyþëtë

I have a Siamese (tom) that systematically visits a neighbours pond and
kills all fish (and probably a few frogs). The pond is now netted.
I do not have a lot of sympathy with anyone that imprisons fish in a *small*
garden pond.
A well designed large pond presents a problem to both cats and herons.
Sorry to be such a bitch but a natural wildlife pond is really interesting,
whereas a small fish pond must be one of the most boring and tortuous
devices ever invented. Blame it on C.Dimock

He didn't say it was a small pond, though. We have two large fishponds
and the local heron has had a go at one of them. It hasn't discovered
the other fishpond yet because it's quite new. The wildlife pond (ex
duck pond) is being left that way so that the frogs find it and have a
chance to breed without fish eating the eggs and the tads.......
there's always something.....
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk