Old 30-04-2006, 12:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Farm1

Default norfolk island pine

"david taylor" wrote in message

Thanks for the encouraging comments re outdoor or cutting back. I

have not
yet decided what to do although the tree is now bending over at the

ceiling.
I may plant it out of doors in a sheltered spot and be prepared to

shroud it
when frost is forecast.
Protection from scorching in strong sunlight is also a necessity.
Regards
David T

Once acclimatised to the outdoors it may not need frost protection
depending on whether you have the true NIP or some other sort of
Araucaria. And once it is acclimatised I'd be quite surprised if it'd
need any protection from scorching in the sunlight of the UK.

And don't plant the thing too close to the house, these things can
grow huge in cold climates (again depending on the variety you have).
I've seen a number of hundred year Araucarias cracking stone walls in
cold climates because they were planted too close to the house.
Araucarias were much favoured by the 19th century gardeners in the
colonies of Australia and many an old homestead is marked by these
lovely trees touring up out of the garden - I've ehard it said that
they were used to act as markers for travellers who travelled long
distances between any signs of settlement.