Old 30-04-2006, 06:56 PM posted to rec.ponds
Hal

Default pond fish pregnant?

On 29 Apr 2006 05:20:17 -0700, "garyjohn_99"
wrote:

Hi all, I am in England an have had a garden pond for three years with
goldfish but never had babies. I have noticed this morning that one of
the goldfish looks pregnant and is constantly followed by another. Does
this mean she is pregnant and if so, how do I stop the babies being
eaten as I guess this is what will happen???? Or, do I separate the
goldfish so the babies cant be eaten??

There is such a thing as a spawning mat. In the spawning process the
fish brush up against plants, mats sides, anything in the pond. It's
purpose is to allow the fish eggs to be deposited in the mat and the
mat removed to a pond without adult fish. Actually lots of plants
that provide hiding places for the fry works well. If there is
hiding places, there will be lots of eggs and lots of fry from one
spawning and you will have plenty to overpopulate your pond (Maybe?)
if part of the eggs or fry aren't eaten.

Regards,

Hal