Old 30-04-2006, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

Default Pond - fish - cats

"Janet Baraclough" wrote
after"Bob Hobden"
wrote
A hot humid thundery night might kill the lot if it's a pond full of
(de)oxygenating plants!

Interesting. How does that work?

Wilst I don't know the exact mechanics, it depletes the oxygen in the water
which will already be depleted because, like most plants, pond plants stop
producing oxygen at night and instead increase the carbon dioxide content by
respiration.

It's a common cause of mass fish deaths in overcrowded (fish and plants)
ponds.

It's also why I often bleet on about not turning off pond pumps at night, in
fact it's the time they should be running.

Unless you are very unlucky a cat is not going to be your problem.

I think mink will take fish too.

And otters! :-)

--
Regards